Stereotype vs. Generalization
- Content is the same
- Difference is in the usage of the information
- Stereotyping is an ending point
- Generalization is a beginning point needing more information before applying the statement to an individual. Example: Mexicans have large families
Prejudice and Discrimination
- Attitude toward the members of some group based solely on their membership in that group (can be positive or negative)
- Preconceived beliefs about group/culture
- Difficult to alter
- Actual positive or negative actions toward the objects of prejudice
- A cultural guide used to describe an entire cultural group may create or reinforce stereotypes.
- Diversity exists in every group of humans.
- Individuals continue to change through acculturation and assimilation